Thursday, February 6, 2014

Bank Security - Card Skimmers

I'm not too impressed with my bank right now.

I went to withdraw some money yesterday and thought the card slot looked a bit suspicious.  So went and withdrew my money inside.  I wasn't convinced it was a skimming device and was in a bit of a rush, so didn't say anything.

But I ended going back at lunchtime, to ask them for confirmation that it wasn't anything suspicious.  The girl I spoke to went and spoke to the manager and came back to tell me that I shouldn't worry.  They check the machines daily and they'd notice if something was attached.

They didn't even come out and have a look.  What if it's removed before they do their daily checks?

I've since done a bit of Googling and found a pictured skimming device from a newspaper article in Malta:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20120729/local/Bank-cash-machines-are-targeted-by-skimmer-gang.430493

It does look very similar to what I saw:


I've since tweeted the bank a few times, but nobody can confirm that this is not a skimming device or not.




No comments:

Post a Comment